Over the past few months, I've been observing a hawk's nest in the parking lot of my apartment complex. Two red-shouldered hawks decided to become my neighbors and start a family. I couldn't have been happier. I was jealous, because I was always hearing about other people having similar nests in their yards. This included my girlfriend. Finally I had my OWN hawks living nearby.
For about two or three months I had noticed the adults building the nest, and bringing food back to it. I had not seen any chicks. For the last week or so, I hadn't seen either of the adults. I was afraid that they had left for some reason. This morning I saw broken egg shell fragments. It seemed like some predator had destroyed the eggs, and the parents had abandoned the nest. I was really starting to become depressed over the whole thing.
While I was inside doing housework an hour later, I heard the familiar call of one of the adults. They were still here! I saw who I believe is the female. She had a mouse, and she was flying towards the nest. After dropping of breakfast, she went back out in search of more. This is when I noticed the recent addition to the family!
I saw two little downy faces through my binoculars looking back at me. It was incredible! I had finally seen the chicks that I had been waiting for over the past few months. In an hour, I had gone from being hopeless and bewildered, to being totally delighted!
As a somewhat new bird watcher, this is a very exciting experience for me. I check the nest site almost every day. I will definitely write more about this in the next few weeks.
Wow, what an incredible discovery. I have a dead Black Snake (approximately 1 ft) if the babies want it!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure they would love it. That could be a meal for the whole family! Sounds like a Harris Teeter ad.
ReplyDeleteThe babies are really cute. It's very exciting to watch them grow up. Thanks for posting!